Thursday, July 1, 2010

Alterations: Restyling Project

One of my most recent projects was a restyling project for my alterations class. We were assigned to make at least three alterations to an existed garment to give it a new look. I chose this blazer that my girlfriend has had in her closet for some time.




It didn't really fit her very well, particularly in the back and the bust. I took it in at the sides and added contour darts to the back to help with the fitting. For other styling changes, I shortened the sleeves to about elbow length and added black velvet cuffs, secured with silver buttons. I also added pocket flaps to the front patch pockets, secured with the same silver buttons. Black velvet ribbon trim was added to the collars and lapels, and I replaced the front buttons with the same silver ones I used on the cuffs and pockets.

Here are the results, with a few detail shots:






There is also a skirt that goes along with the jacket, and my girlfriend is trying to convince me to make it into a pair of shorts with the same velvet cuffs. We'll see...